Capitol Jobs Marketplace
Posted: January 7, 2019
Organization: Legislative Service Bureau
Job Title: Attorney
- This employee functions as a staff attorney serving as nonpartisan Legal Counsel to the Michigan Legislature. The Attorney position includes assisting legislators and their staff in drafting bills, substitutes, and amendments and tracking them through the legislative process. Employee trains to learn legislative drafting rules and become a subject-matter expert in an assigned area. Employee attends legislative committee and workgroup meetings, performs legal research, and prepares legal memoranda.
- The Legal Division of the Legislative Service Bureau consists of levels of attorney positions. Each level is similar in its core set of functions for the division, but each level requires progressively more depth and breadth of specialized knowledge, expertise, and responsibility.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Membership in good standing in the State Bar of Michigan.
- Previous legal work experience with state statutes, state government operations, and the legislative process.
- Demonstrated legal research skills and knowledge of research resources.
- Excellent legal writing skills.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment.
- Willingness and ability to work overtime and irregular hours as required, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
How to Apply:
Apply through the State of Michigan Jobs website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/michigan. Candidates must include as attachments in their online application a cover letter outlining qualifications and interests, a resume and a law school transcript. Current Legislative Council employees who wish to apply should contact the LSB Human Resources Office at email@example.com or call (517) 373-9643.The deadline to apply is 12 p.m. on Monday, February 4, 2019.