The Court of Appeals has reversed a decision by the Michigan Tax Tribunal that rejected an Escanaba property tax assessment of a Menard's store, a potentially dramatic development in the high-level clash between local government and retailers on big box property taxation.
The reversal primarily relies on the differences in approaches to valuation of property - a cost-less depreciation approach that Escanaba used and the sales-comparison approach Menard's used.
In a difference over how much Michigan spends on child care for low-income parents who are working or in training, the Michigan League for Public Policy has said the state is danger of losing $20 million in federal money. But state budget officials say child care programs will be funded appropriately.
Michigan's prevailing wage law appears safe for the remainder of the 2015-16 legislative term.
Also In Gongwer
No upcoming events scheduled.
Gongwer Is Your Source For
- Detailed Capitol News You Can Trust
- Comprehensive Committee Coverage
- Bill Tracking By Number, Keyword & Section
- Real-Time Legislation Alerts
- Easy to Share Custom Bill Status Reports
- Legislative History On All Bills
- Committee Tracking
- Legislative, Agency & Fundraising Schedules
- Legislator Contact Tools
- Comprehensive Government Directories
- Election & Candidate Information
- News Clips From Other Sources
- Extensive News & Legislative Archives
- Much More