Voters in Michigan school districts overwhelmingly backed raising their property taxes Tuesday to pay for bond sales that will fund improvements and renovations to school buildings.
A Gongwer News Service analysis of the results showed that 39 of the 48 bond proposals passed. That's an 81 percent approval rate (this story has been updated to reflect results not available last night).
House Republicans are gearing up for a GOP-only plan to address problems with Detroit Public Schools as Democrats are in staunch opposition to legislation that would split the district in two and attempt to address the district's debt and that cleared the House Appropriations Committee Tuesday.
A long-anticipated package of bills reforming the criminal justice system from juvenile justice through probation and parole was unveiled Tuesday by Sen. John Proos, several Republicans and some Democrats.
Also In Gongwer
Rep. Amanda Price (R) Fundraiser - 7:30 am
Senate Energy and Technology - 8:00 am
Senate Commerce - 9:00 am
House Appropriations - 9:00 am
Criminal Justice Policy Commission - 9:00 am
House Families, Children and Seniors - 9:00 am
House Financial Services - 10:30 am
House Tax Policy - 10:30 am
Gongwer Is Your Source For
- Detailed Capitol News You Can Trust
- Comprehensive Committee Coverage
- Bill Tracking By Number, Keyword & Section
- Real-Time Legislation Alerts
- Easy to Share Custom Bill Status Reports
- Legislative History On All Bills
- Committee Tracking
- Legislative, Agency & Fundraising Schedules
- Legislator Contact Tools
- Comprehensive Government Directories
- Election & Candidate Information
- News Clips From Other Sources
- Extensive News & Legislative Archives
- Much More