Union Township Trustee Roger Hauck and Mount Pleasant realtor Robin Stressman are battling it out in the Republican primary for the 99th House District to replace House Speaker Kevin Cotter, who does not plan to endorse in the race.
The winner will face Democrat Bryan Mielke, a Union Township trustee, in one of the most important general election match-ups in the state to determine which party controls the House in the 2017-18 term. Mr. Mielke narrowly lost to Mr. Cotter in 2014, and Democrats have never been so well positioned to win a district once represented by John Engler that they have not won since the 1930s.
Pamela Hornberger has locked up virtually unanimous Republican establishment support in her bid for the 32nd House District, but in this year when outsiders have turned electoral politics upside-down, she is facing a strong battle from a political newcomer who's a country singer.
A not guilty plea was entered in for Rep. Brian Banks on Wednesday as he was arraigned for charges filed against him by the Department of Attorney General, and he was given a $5,000 personal bond and ordered not to leave the state.
Also In Gongwer
Gongwer Is Your Source For
- Detailed Capitol News You Can Trust
- Comprehensive Committee Coverage
- Bill Tracking By Number, Keyword & Section
- Real-Time Legislation Alerts
- Easy to Share Custom Bill Status Reports
- Legislative History On All Bills
- Committee Tracking
- Legislative, Agency & Fundraising Schedules
- Legislator Contact Tools
- Comprehensive Government Directories
- Election & Candidate Information
- News Clips From Other Sources
- Extensive News & Legislative Archives
- Much More