Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 01:02 PM
It was still unclear Monday what effects the sickout that essentially closed Detroit Public Schools would have on efforts to restructure the district, or at least its debt.
After DPS Transition Manager Steven Rhodes confirmed over the weekend that the district would run out of money again at the end of June, potentially leaving teachers who had elected to spread their pay over the summer months without those checks, without that pay.
Last week, Governor Rick Snyder seemed less than enthusiastic about the idea of meeting face to face with President Barack Obama when he visits Flint on Wednesday, but Monday, Mr. Snyder said he in fact has asked the White House to schedule a meeting between the president, Flint Mayor Karen Weaver and himself on the Flint water crisis.
Several major school bond issues, as well as a vote to annex one school district into another, highlight Tuesday's local ballot proposals.
Also In Gongwer
House Criminal Justice - 9:00 am
House Health Policy - 9:00 am
House Natural Resources - 9:00 am
Board of Speech-Language Pathology - 9:00 am
House Appropriations - 10:00 am
Rep. Brian Banks (D) fundraiser - 10:00 am
Veterans Trust Fund Board of Trustees - 10:30 am
Gongwer Is Your Source For
- Detailed Capitol News You Can Trust
- Comprehensive Committee Coverage
- Bill Tracking By Number, Keyword & Section
- Real-Time Legislation Alerts
- Easy to Share Custom Bill Status Reports
- Legislative History On All Bills
- Committee Tracking
- Legislative, Agency & Fundraising Schedules
- Legislator Contact Tools
- Comprehensive Government Directories
- Election & Candidate Information
- News Clips From Other Sources
- Extensive News & Legislative Archives
- Much More