If the House Democrats gain nine seats in the 2016 elections they would take over the House and match their highest gain of seats in the term limits era, and they say they're in it for the long haul to get to 56.
With less than a year until the election, Democrats feel good about their recruitment in many key seats, particularly in the 108th House District where Republican Rep. Ed McBroom of Vulcan cannot seek re-election because of term limits.
For the first time in a decade - in fact, for the first time since Michigan last increased its tobacco tax - tobacco tax revenues increased during the 2014-15 fiscal year, figures show.
In the second major case dealing with a sentencing question since the Supreme Court made major changes to Michigan's sentencing guidelines system, the Court of Appeals on Wednesday said a conflict existed on how to determine the reasonableness of a sentence.
Also In Gongwer
No upcoming events scheduled.
Gongwer Is Your Source For
- Detailed Capitol News You Can Trust
- Comprehensive Committee Coverage
- Bill Tracking By Number, Keyword & Section
- Real-Time Legislation Alerts
- Easy to Share Custom Bill Status Reports
- Legislative History On All Bills
- Committee Tracking
- Legislative, Agency & Fundraising Schedules
- Legislator Contact Tools
- Comprehensive Government Directories
- Election & Candidate Information
- News Clips From Other Sources
- Extensive News & Legislative Archives
- Much More