During his last days in office, former Sen. Harry Gast would hand out small sheets of paper to lawmakers, reporters and anyone who asked, printed with a quotation from the philosopher George Santayana: "Those who cannot remember the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them. We should fear we may well face such a fate."
It was a message Mr. Gast felt was critical as he was leaving office in December 2002, with a new governor and a largely untested Legislature about to take office and facing a projected $1.8 billion deficit. It was a message the long-time St. Joseph Republican aimed particularly at legislators he felt were too partisan, too know-it-all, too inflexible and too ignorant about what government's purpose was to be.
Michigan ballots could see some substantial changes as soon as the 2016 elections under a request for proposal discussed Thursday by the Board of State Canvassers.
Sam Inglot, spokesperson for Citizens for Fair Taxes and Raise Michigan, said both groups would put in printing orders now that the forms were approved and begin circulating in the next couple of weeks.
Also In Gongwer
There are no news clips to display at this time
There are no opinion clips to display at this time
Gongwer Is Your Source For
- Detailed Capitol News You Can Trust
- Comprehensive Committee Coverage
- Bill Tracking By Number, Keyword & Section
- Real-Time Legislation Alerts
- Easy to Share Custom Bill Status Reports
- Legislative History On All Bills
- Committee Tracking
- Legislative, Agency & Fundraising Schedules
- Legislator Contact Tools
- Comprehensive Government Directories
- Election & Candidate Information
- News Clips From Other Sources
- Extensive News & Legislative Archives
- Much More